Pages Menu
TwitterRssFacebook
Categories Menu

Posted by on Feb 28, 2012 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

Holy Cross of Davao College

History

In school year 1951-1952, the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) opened an annex of the Immaculate Conception College (now known as University of the Immaculate Conception) at Sta. Ana Avenue, Davao City.  The annex was built upon the requests of parents living at Sta. Ana District ans with permission from the local bishop since the school building was erected  on a land owned by the Roman Catholic apostolic Administrator of Davao. The ICC annex provided kindergarten, elementary, and secondary courses for boys and girls but by school year 1955-1956, it became a separate school and was named “Holy Cross Academy of Davao”.

In April 1956, the RVM sisters informed the most Reverend Clovis Thibault, PME. the first Apostolic Administrator and Bishop of Davao, about the RVM General Council’s decision to transfer the ownership of the school.  This decision was executed trough a deed of sale in which the RVM congregation , represented by Superior General Mother Maria Catalina Dychitan, sold the school to the Roman Catholic Apostolic Administrator of Davao.

Bishop Thibault then asked the Foreign Mission Society of Quebec (PME Fathers) to maintain ‘Holy Cross Academy of Davao” and to establish  an exclusive school for boys.  A land lease agreement was subsequently made between PME Regional Superior, Rev. Fr. Lionell Labelle and Bishop Clovis Thibault. Prior to this agreement, however, Bishop Thibault had asked the PME Fathers to establish a technical and industrial school.

The PME Fathers took over the school management in 1956-1957, with Rev. Fr. Jean Lalonde as the first school director.  The school was renamed “Holy Cross of Davao School, Inc.

When Fr. Lalonde left in 1959, Fr. Eloi Montambault, PME was appointed school director until Fr. Lalonde’s return in 1961.  Fr. Lalonde served as school director until 1968.

In school year 1964-1965, the school allowed admission of girls to the elementary department.

College courses were offered in school-year 1966-1967, and the school was renamed “Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc.”

In 1968, Rev. Fr. Generoso C. Camina (first Filipino PME and who later became Bishop of Digos) was appointed Rector.  He was succedded by Mr. Emilio P. Palma Gil who was appointed school president on July 1, 1969.

Due to lack of Filipino personnel needed to operate the school, the PME fathers decided to transfer the ownership of the school buildings, including the CYO gymnasium, its furniture and equipment, and all rights and privileges of operating a school, to the Roman Catholic Bishop of  Davao.  On July 10, 1976, a Canonical Deed of Donation was made between the PME Regional Superior Rev. Fr. Roland Denis and Archbishop Antonio  Mabutas, DD,J.C.D.

The college department continued to offer additional courses, especially for those coming from lower -income group of the community.  The following  programs were offered according to the date of government recognition.

Bachelor of Arts – July 7, 1969

Bachelor of Secondary Education – July 7, 1969

Bachelor of Science in Commerce – July 7, 1967

Bachelor of Elementary Education – June 17, 1985

Bachelor of Science in Customs Administration – June 17, 1985

Bachelor of Science in Accountancy – June 1992

Certificate in Marine Transportation – January 16, 1998

Certificate in Associate in Marine Transportation – January 16, 1998

Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation – January 16, 1998

Bachelor of Science in Psychology – SY:1998-99

Bachelor of Science in Library and Information Science – SY2000-2001

10-month Seafarer Rating Course Deck – June 14, 2000

10-month Seafarer Rating Course-Stewarding – June 14, 2000

5-month Computer Technician Course – March 26, 2001

Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering – February 5, 2003

Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering – February 5, 2003

Bachelor of Science in Social Work – February 21, 2003

In 1984, the grade school department, officially named Professor Hermann Gmeiner School,” found a new campus site at Bajada, Davao City.  The grade school building and facilities were constructed and offered for the school’s perpetual use by SOS Kinderdorf International.  On January 18, 1985, Archbishop Antonio Mabutas inaugurated the new campus and blessed its occupants, in the presence of Prof. Hermann Gmeiner, founder of SOS Kinderdorf International. In August 29 of the same year, Mr, Helmut Kutin, President of Kinderdorf international, presented the speech laboratory, audiovisual center, and sports center as additional facilities for the grade school department.  The Professor Hermann Gmeiner School at Bajada campus with its school buildings and modern facilities is a strong manifestation of the cooperative effort between Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. and SOS Kinderdorf International in their common desire to give the best to the young pupils, particularly the SOS children-beneficiaries.

For many years, the high school department continued to be an exclusive school for boys.  But, in school year 1985-1986, due to the persistent request of parents whose daughters were not allowed admission to the high school department, the school administration was finally convinced to change this policy and allowed the admission of female high school students.

Over the years, the school has become a dynamic academic community, primarily because of the PME Fathers.  As a sign of gratitude, the school paid tribute to the PME Fathers and its 50 years of mission work in Davao Provinces and in Mindanao.  A two-hour theater documentary “Ang Misyonaryo: Bulawanong Tigpugas” ws presented to the people of Davao on November 30, December 10, 11 and 12, 1987 at the HCDC Gymnasium.  To this day, the Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. shares the PME motto: “For us to live is to evangelize,” by participating in building basic ecclesiastical communities and by being a center of Catholic formation especially for the poor.

Since its foundation in 1951, the school had served several thousands of students not only from Davao but also from neighboring provinces and islands as well.  Cognizant of the needs of those who want to pursue graduate studies, the school opened the graduate school department.  It was granted a government permit to operate masters degree programs in education and economics on February 8, 1994.

The Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc. became one of the leading educational institutions in the City of Davao, also because of the unselfish work of a man who, for 25 years, guided the development of the institution.  Mr.  Emilio Palma Gil, a certified public accountant, ably handled the fiscal management of the school, as he continued the vision of he PME Fathers: to provide quality education especially to students from poor families. He was elevated to the knighthood of St. Sylvester I by Pope Paul VI and solemnly invested by Archbishop Antonio Mabutas on May 24, 1978.  He held the distinction of being the first lay person to head a catholic school.  On May 31, 1994, Mr. Palma Gil retired as the school president but continues to to share his management expertise as member of the Board of Trustees (BOT).

“I will serve your gains as I break new grounds to respond to the present needs” – these were the words of Ma. Iris Melleza, Ed. D. the second school president of Holy Cross of Davao College, Inc., during the installation ceremonies on September 14, 1994. Dr. Melleza who had long years of experience as an accreditor is surely helpful in breaking a new ground of growth for the institution.

It has been long the desire of the institution to be accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU).  Significant accreditation related- work started in school year 1986-1987 when the school wrote its Vision-Mission Statement.  In the later years, the college department continued the painstaking accreditation work that culminated on April 25, 1995, when PAASCU granted the liberal arts and education programs level II status for 3 years.  In 1998, a five-year re-accreditation status was granted.  Much to the delight of Holy Cross of Davao College community, the Commerce program gained level I accreditation in 1999. and after a year was granted Level II accreditation for a period of 3 years.  School year 2003-2004 would therefore be a busy year since Liberal Arts, Education and commerce are scheduled for PAASCU revisit.

After much work, Holy Cross of Davao College – Maritime Education Program (HCDC-MEP) was among the 35 Maritime Educational Institutions certified to have fully complied with the Commision on Higher Education (CHED) – Seafarer’s Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) ’95 Standards as per CHED Memorandum Order  (CMO) No. 08, Series of 2001.  Among its many requirements is the certification of an international certifying body for having complied with the Quality Standards System (QSS) per regulation 1/8 of the STW ’95.  Since 1999, Holy Cross of Davao College has been internationally accredited by Det Norske Veritas (DNV) and by International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001:2000 subject to annual periodic audit.  For SY 2004-2005, HCDC-MEP is granted Level I accreditation by the Philippine Association of of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACOCOA).

Holy Cross of Davao College has demonstrated that it can meet the demands of an increasing student population and new academic programs through the expansion and improvement of its physical facilities.  At the main campus, a five-storey building named after Profesor Hermann Gmeiner was built in 1989.  On February 6, 1996, Monsignor Mabutas blessed a new four-storey buildign named in his honor which was constructed alongside the renovatedd four-storey Thibault Hall.  A new chapel dedicated to PME Fathers was blessed on October 8, 1996.  The school also acquired a 5-hectare shoreline property at Camudmud, Babak, Garden City of Samal, specifically to meet the requirements of the Marine transportation program.  However, it can also be used for recollections, seminars and other school-related activities.

The year 1996 was a year of thanksgiving and celebration.  The Archdiocese of Davao commemorated its 25th anniversary while Archbishop Antonio Mabutas celebrated his golden Jubilee as priest and 35 years as bishop.

On November 28, 1996, Most Rev. Fernando R. Capalla, DD was installed as Archbishop of Davao.  He is presently the Chairman of the HCDC, Inc. BOT.

To answer the needs of growing population of Holy Cross of Davao College, the 4-story Palma Gil building was constructed in 1997 and was finished in 1998.  In the 4th floor, the Social Work office, Home economics, 4 classrooms and another science lecture room was housed.  The expanded College library and the High School library are located at the 3rd floor.  The 2nd floor is occupied by the high school students during the day and by college students during the evening.  The ground floor is a spacious student lounge.

In SY 1998-1999, AB major in Psychology was converted to BS Psychology. The program produced its first batch of graduates in SY 2001-2002, in SY 2000-2001, AB and BSED major in Library Science (BSLIS).  A permit to open BS Social Work was granted in SY 2000-2001 and was duly recognized on February 21, 2003.

The year-long celebration of HCDC Golden Jubilee with the theme “HCDC Journeying into the 21st Century: Synthesis of Faith and Life” culminated in September 2001 with the cultural presentation “Ang Kahoy: Iyang mga Bunga sa Gugma”.

The Holy Cross of Davao College opened Technical-Vocational Education and TRaining (TVET) programs namely: a 5-month computer Technician Course and 10-month Seafarer Rating Course, with major concentration either in Deck Rating or Stewarding. TVET aims to develop skilled manpower who are equipped with relevant technical knowledge and skills, desirable work attitude, and who are self-reliant and globally competitive.

The rapid growth in electronics and computer technology prompted Holy Cross of Davao College to open BS in Electronics and Communications Engineering (BSECE) and BS in Computer Engineering (BSCoE). After a meticulous CHED visit, a permit to operate was granted effective June 2003.

With the growing population and the opening of new programs, the BOT approved the construction of a 4-storey building and the replacement of the old CYO Gym.  Thus on October 15, 2001, the gym was demolished.  The construction of the 4-storey building now known as the Capalla Hall began on January 15, 2002.  The Capalla Hall was blessed and inaugurated on June 15, 2002 in time for the opening classes of the first semester of SY 2002-2003.  From the estimated budget of P65 million, the actual cost stretched to 84.2 million with some minors parts in the gym unfinished.  The two-floor classroom at the right and left wings of the new gym were ready for use in the second semester of SY 2002-2003.  The first college graduation held in the new gym was on October 26, 2002.  The new gym, classrooms and offices were blessed on February 13, 2003 during the Educator’s day celebration.

To keep its facilities updated, renovations were made in school year 2002-2003. In the third floor of the Thibault Hall is the spacious and equipped air-conditioned college faculty room which was blessed on February 6, 2003. Other offices in the hall are: ReEd office, Commerce laboratory, 4 college Computer Aided Instruction (CAI) rooms and the graduate school library. In the second floor are the MassCom Center, the high school registrar’s office, campus ministry office, and high school AVR as well as the conference room. On the ground floor are the bookstore and the chaplain’s office beside the testing room of the guidance office.  Since conservation and cultural heritage  is one of the roles of classrooms in third floor of the Mabutas Hall are used by high school students during the day and by the college students in the evening.

School Motto: “Ex Fide As Veritatem” which means “from faith to truth”

Philosophy

The Holy Cross of Davao College believes in the Catholic philosophy of life which recognizes that every human being has an eternal destiny as well as earthly existence and that education is a preparation for life here and thereafter.  All pupils, students and personnel of this institution are expected to adhere to the Christian philosophy of life as explained by the Catholic church.

Vision-Mission Statement of HCDC

The Holy Cross of Davao College is a Filipino, Catholic, archdiocesan, educational institution.  It aspires to form a community of totally-liberated persons enriched by Filipino heritage, diverse cultures and Catholic teachings, and who will be living witnesses of Jesus Christ through dynamic service to all communities in faith, truth, justice, peace and love.

This being the vision, the college declares its mission to form well-integrated persons by providing Catholic education to all, especially the less fortunate.

Through close interaction and harmonious relationship among the members of the school community, the Holy Cross of Davao College is committed to build a Christian environment for development of:

Persons who live Christ-like life and who are conscious of their preciousness, dignity and potentials;

Filipinos who value, enhance and impart Filipino socio-cultural and spiritual heritage;

Leaders who are effective agents of change and who reach out to others.

Through this mission, the Holy Cross of Davao College participates in the formation of the home, the Archdiocese of Davao, the nation and the church.

Courses Offered:

Graduate Programs

Master of Arts in Education Majors in:

  • Early Childhood Education
  • Educational Management
  • English Language Teaching
  • Filipino
  • Special Education
  • Teaching Mathematics
  • Teaching Religion

Master of Science in Economics

Graduate Programs in consortium with Ignatian Institute of Religious Education Foundation:

(Applied for)

Master of Arts in theology, majors in:

  • Pastoral Ministry
  • Religious Education
  • Theological Studies

Graduate Certificate in Integral Evangelization

Bachelors Degree Programs:

Bachelor of Arts, major in:

  • Economics
  • English
  • Filipino
  • General Science
  • History
  • Mass Communication
  • Mathematics
  • Physical Education
  • Political Science

Bachelor of Elementary Education (BEED), major in:

  • Early childhood
  • English
  • Filipino
  • General Science
  • Mathematics
  • Physical Education
  • Special Education
  • Social Studies

Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSED), major in:

  • Catechetics
  • English
  • Filipino
  • General Science
  • Mathematics
  • Physical Education
  • Social Studies

Bachelor of Science in Accountancy (BSA)

Bachelor of Science in Commerce (BSC), major in:

  • Banking and Finance
  • Entrepreneurship with Electronics Commerce
  • Industrial Relations Management
  • Management
  • Management Accounting
  • Marketing

Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering

Bachelor of Science in Customs Administration

Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering

Bachelor of Science in Library and Information Science

Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation

Bachelor of Science in Psychology

Bachelor of Science in Social Work

Certificate Programs in the Undergraduate School in Consortium with Ignatian Institute of Religious Education Foundation

(applied for)

Adult Formation in the Basic Certificate in Integral Evangelization

Adult Formation in the Basic Certificate in Pastoral Ministry

Certificate Programs(TVET):

10-Month Seafarer Rating Course

  • Deck Training
  • Steward Rating

5-Month Computer Technician Course

Admission Requirements:

For Freshmen students

1. High School Report Card (Form 138)

2. HCDC Entrance Test Result

3. Certificate of Good Moral Character

4. Photocopy of Authenticated Birth Certificate (attach the original copy for validation)

5. Four (4) copies of 1&1/2 x 1&1/2 ID pictures

Additional requirement for BSMT:

  • Ishihara Test Result
  • Audiometry Test Result

———————–

Holy Cross of Davao College

Main Campus
Address: Sta. Ana Avenue, Davao City
School President
(082) 221-3008
(082) 221-9071 to 79 local 126
president@hcdc.edu.ph-

———————–

College Registrar
(082) 221-3008
(082) 221-9073 or local 116
colreg@hcdc.edu.ph
RVM Sisters and PME Fathers
Archdiocese of Davao
1951

——————————

HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUS
SOS Drive, Bajada, Davao City
(082) 221-5362
(082) 221-7380
(082) 221-7380 local 208
high_school@hcdc.edu.ph
RVM Sisters and PME Fathers
Archdiocese of Davao
1951

——————————–

GRADE SCHOOL CAMPUS
SOS Drive, Bajada, Davao City
(082) 225-3556
(082) 227-6980
(082) 227-6989 local 216
grade_school@hcdc.edu.ph
RVM Sisters and PME Fathers
Archdiocese of Davao
1951

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>